Friday, June 6, 2008

We Hereby Nominate Fred "Mister" Rogers for Sainthood


Many visitors to God Spam comment on my bio, which describes me as a Christian who does not suck. If there were a Kinsey scale of Christian suck-to-not-suck ratio, designed in MS Paint, it might look something like this:



That's because Mr. Rogers is one of the best models of Christianity that pop culture has ever offered up. In "real life," he was a Presbyterian minister who considered his children's show his ministry. He had a passion for this calling, as you can see in this clip of him (successfully) urging the US Senate to maintain funding for PBS:



He also practiced what he preached to children on his show: love, tolerance and an appreciation for the good in people. Mental Floss has compiled a list of inspiring Mr. Rogers factoids, including a great story about the night he struck up a lifelong friendship with a chauffeur by inviting him up to the fancy dinner party he was hired to drive him to.


"We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility. It's easy to say 'It's not my child, not my community, not my world, not my problem.' Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes." -- Fred Rogers

No comments: